Thursday, July 2

Thing # 11 - Digital Citizenship

I know my district is looking hard at coming up with some standards to put in our student beginning of the year handbooks. I think this is a must ! As Librarian & campus technology representative .. my campus will be looking to me for some direction as we have lots of new technologies & opportunities for our students awaiting us all in August. So, if I were to name 5 top items to focus on this concept with my students during their Library orientation - these would be :
1. Where & Why - I will have to go over all the technology available to them next year which will be much more than was available last year. Then I will need to discuss a sort of priority list .. why do I need an itouch rather than a laptop? questions like that to make sure students are choosing a technology that fits their needs & not taking up technology-time with our equipment in a frivolous manner.
2. Access - how to access our digital information. I will show students subscription databases & discuss sites open & some blocked at the school level. How to make alternative choices when they are at school - for example if you tube is blocked try teacher tube .. etc.
3. Literacy - so many students do not seek information when they are online. Help menus - tutorials - & plain old reading .. escape them. So, I wish to impress upon them there is a certain skill level to teach yourself & locate information when you encounter a new technology online.
4.Privilege - now that I have them excited about our new technology - I would discuss privilege & taking care of things that we are lucky to have ... pointing to our district's AUP will take place here.
5. Etiquette - I'm thinking I can jumble together the concepts of safety, using correct online etiquette, & paying attention to copyright .. giving credit .. fair use etc... Good luck, right??
My digital lesson will hopefully include a little technology petting zoo - in which I will have out a lot of the new technology that we have available to them. I would have some of these attached to a video projector so I can share things like the difference between using open office & Microsoft Office. I would also have a handout that includes tips .. & post all of this info on my website/blog for them. I think as a reinforcement .. & since I rarely get enough time to talk to students - I want to create a little fun online web quest or something along those lines for them to do at home on their computer.

2 comments:

VWB said...

I think impressing on the kids that they have to do some of the learning on their own is an important concept...and jsut as important for the adults who may be around also!

We all must take responsibility for understanding enough to help our students...it can't be assigned to only one or two people per campus r department or group or...

KRM said...

Well, the kids are ahead of the adults on this one!